Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Reading Diary A: Nursery Rhymes

Here are a few of my favorite stories from Nursery Rhymes.

Proverbs: I found it really interesting to read the proverbs. It amazes me how proverbs or sayings have changed so drastically over time. For instance there is one in the unit: "a sunshiny shower, won't last more than an hour." My grandmother used to tell me one that was similar, but dealt with the clouds in the sky. I wish I could remember it.

Riddles: I really enjoyed the excerpt with the riddles. I remember when I was younger and my grandmother used to tell me riddles. Even though they weren't as complex as these, at least I thought so, but it is interesting to see that this might have been their origin. It was interesting to see all the diverse words used to describe one object. For instance, an egg is described as soft, but has a stronghold.

Paradoxes: I liked reading all the paradoxes. It was interesting that they were all expressed through poetry. This made it more difficult, but also more intriguing to read. The perfect example is the paradox describing "I would if I cou'd, if I cou'dnt, how cou'd I?" (and so on). I thought that it was really cool how confusing the poetry was, but at the same time it made sense.

Games: My favorite reading from this unit was learning about the games. It was interesting to read about all these different type of games. I liked that the games didn't just have standard rules. The rules were expressed through rhyme and poetry. All this reminded me of "ring around the rosie."


No comments:

Post a Comment