Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Reading Diary A: English Aesop

Here a few of my favorite stories from English Aesop.

Fables About People: I liked the story Esop at Play. I thought it was really cool that this story was about Aesop himself. I have not read (or at least I don't remember) a fable about Aesop as a person. I thought the amount of symbolism within the poem was great. I liked how the bow symbolized that people need to take time and relax by watching the world around them.

Apes: I thought the story of An Ape and her Two Brats was very interesting. However, the ending was so depressing, but the story did deliver a good message. An ape mother has two children and adores one. She doesn't care for the other. So when she runs away from something she tucks the loved baby under her arm and the one she doesn't care for on her shoulders. However, the one the cares for gets its head banged into a rock and dies, while the un-loved one is safe and sound. I took the message as don't make things your favorite or at least show favoritism.

Foxes: I really enjoyed the story of The Fox and the Stork. The fox has turned into my favorite character within Aesop fables (both from this unit and units prior). I like reading of the witty and trickster personality of the fox. I enjoyed this story because someone actually out-smarts the fox. The stork (of all animals) learns of the foxes trickery and uses it against him. Therefore, the fox has to watch the stork eat as he starves.

Lions: I liked the story of The Lion and the Bulls. I enjoyed how the bulls tried to unite together, but eventually they fell prey to the Lion's cleverness. I thought it was interesting that the comment within the unTextbook said the phrase, "divide and conquer," because that is the exact strategy the lion used to extract the bulls away from each other. I liked how the lion was portrayed as a smart, but terrifying character and not boastful (as a lion is usually portrayed in fables).



No comments:

Post a Comment