Monday, April 27, 2015

College Writing Review

     I believe that the most helpful technique to improve your writing is repetition. The more you write, the better you get at it. For instance, this class we are constantly writing (and reading) both reviews of our readings and stories every week. I guarantee that if you look at everyone's Week 1 storytelling post and compare it to ones we wrote later the newer ones are significantly better. This class has been excellent with using repetition to improve our writing skills.

     I have taken a lot of classes where writing has been a large portion of the class. Every history class I have taken the class has written plenty of papers. It is interesting to compare the different writing styles that are required for each class. For example, history or science research papers are completely different than papers you write for english class. I like how the writing style for this class has been different than any other class I've taken. This class was on the "creative writing" end of the spectrum and we learned how to correctly balance dialogue with imagery. It honestly made writing a lot of fun. For my major (film), we usually write papers that are more on the research side of the spectrum. However, we also write screenplays, which I enjoy. I hope to someday be a screenplay writer.

     If I were to design a writing class for OU I would maybe make it a lot like this class. I would take the improvement/aid aspect of this class and give helpful techniques that enhance an individual's ability to write. I found this extremely helpful for this particular class. These techniques I have learned for this class have carried over to my other classes. It was a class, but also a workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment