Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Reading Diary A: Grimm (Ashliman)

Here are a few of my favorite stories from Grimm (Ashliman).

The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids: I really enjoyed the story of The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids. The story reminded me of the wolf and the three little pigs. I thought it was interesting how well the Wolf deceived the townspeople to get what he wanted. In addition, out of the Miller's fear, the wolf got into the household and ate the children. The story took a dark turn, but goodness prevailed and the wolf drowned. I thought the ending was great in how the children ended up being alive. I was surprised that this story had a happy ending given how sinister it became in the middle.

Singing Bone: I thought the story of The Singing Bone was very interesting. It started off as an excellent story of two brothers (one kind hearted and one more athletic) hunting down a wild boar. It turns out that the kind hearted brother won the boar. The other brother becomes jealous and kills his own brother. This was sad to me, but at least the older brother's actions were finally discovered and he was punished.

The Elves: I liked the story of The Elves. The entire story was uplifting and I really enjoyed the element of teamwork. It amazed me how long the shoemaker kept setting the unfinished shoes out every night. If it was me, I would have tried to find out who was making the shoes as quickly as I could. I thought the ending was great. Even though the elves never returned because they received clothing, the shoemaker succeeded in all his work. It added the element of gratitude to the story.

Rumpelstiltskin: I thought that the story of Rumpelstiltskin was unique because I had no idea what to expect. The story first started off happy, but then became dark. However, Rumpelstiltskin kept helping out the future queen so he appeared to be a hero. Then he requests her first child and comes a year later to retrieve it. Luckily, the queen discovers his name and is allowed to keep the child. In my opinion, Rumpelstiltskin became a villain very quickly, which surprised me. I thought the story was unique because of all the twists within it.


No comments:

Post a Comment